Skip to main content
Job Classification - Class Reviews
Guidelines for submitting Class Action Requests for Classification Review:
- A Class Action Request for Classification Review is a request to review the classification (title and pay grade) of two or more positions in the same job class. It is also used to reallocate a group of positions to a new job class.
- The Collective Bargaining Unit Agreements (CBAs) govern Class Action Requests for Classification Review. It is strongly suggested that you review the applicable Collective Bargaining Unit Agreement before completing a Request for Classification Review. The applicable language and links to the CBAs can be found at the end of this document.
- All Class Action Requests for Classification Review (RFR) must be submitted on the full, RFR Form A
- HR Field staff will review the Class Action Requests for completion.
For Classification to determine the package is complete, the package must include:
- A clear statement explaining why the RFR is being submitted. This can be a separate memo or included in the first section in Form A.
- Specific examples of changes prompting the review request.
- A complete position control report list of the positions performing the duties described in the RFR at the time it is submitted, in Excel format. PLEASE NOTE: we will NOT accept class action RFRs from Management without information identifying the specific positions associated with each RFR at the time the RFR is submitted.
- Organizational Charts showing 1). the current organizational structure, and 2). organizational charts for any changes occurring in conjunction with the review.
- Draft job specifications (new or revised) in Word format, PDF will not be accepted.
- Appropriate signatures (supervisor, appointing authority, DHR Field staff)
- NEW as of 2017, the submission form for a Class Action Request for Classification Review is required. See here for the April 2019 updated version: Submission Form for Class Action Request for Classification Review.
- Management is responsible for notifying employees that Management will, or has, submitted a Class Action RFR. If possible employees should be given an opportunity to review the Management RFR and other materials provided in the Class Action RFR.
- The completed Class Action RFR and required attachments must be submitted to the Department of Human Resources, Classification Division in accordance with the time limits detailed in the applicable CBA: Between July 1st and August 31st for the Non-Management Bargaining Unit, and between July 1st and August 15th for the Supervisory Bargaining Unit and the Corrections Bargaining Unit.
RFRs and required attachments (in the appropriate format) may be submitted as follows:
- Email: DHR.Classification@vermont.gov
- Drop Off: To the Classification Division of the Vermont Department of Human Resources, 120 State Street-5th Floor, Montpelier, VT 05620-2505. Our offices are open between 7:45 and 4:30 on weekdays.
- Mail (pink or US): To the Classification Division of the Vermont Department of Human Resources, 120 State Street-5th Floor, Montpelier, VT 05620-2505. RFRs must be received in Classification before the deadline specified in the applicable Collective Bargaining Unit Agreement.
- Class Action RFRs received by other divisions of DHR (Field Operations for example) but delivered to Classification after the appropriate deadline will not be considered during the current year and should be resubmitted the following year.
- Class Action RFRs postmarked on or before the deadline but delivered to Classification after the deadline specified in the applicable Collective Bargaining Unit Agreement will not be considered during the current year and will need to be resubmitted the following year.
- Class Action RFRs received prior to July 1st will be returned to the submitter and should be resubmitted after July 1st, to be considered in the current year.
- Class Action RFRs submitted by VSEA will be forwarded to the appropriate HR Administrator; the HR Administrator will coordinate review by the supervisor and appointing authority. An appropriate supervisor and the appointing authority must review and sign Class Action RFRs submitted by VSEA. We recommend supervisors have 10 days and appointing authorities have 5 days to mirror the Procedure for Review of Classification language in the CBA. In addition, management is responsible for providing any additional information necessary to complete the review, including, but not limited to, lists of positions subject to the review, organizational charts, and job specifications.
- Accepted Class Action RFRs will normally be reviewed by the Classification Analyst assigned to the department or the appropriate Classification Committee. All reviews will be conducted and completed in accordance with the provisions of the applicable CBA.
- Agencies/Departments will be required to assist with cost analysis of each review and should be prepared to provide financial impact detail once the results of the Class Action classification review have been communicated to them.
- If the financial impact does not require legislative review, the Notice of Action will be issued as outlined in the applicable CBA. Please review the CBA language below regarding implementation based on budget impact of the review.