Skip to main content

W-2 & W-4 Information

Federal W-4

Federal W-4’s should be completed at the time of hire, additionally, active employees can change their W-4 withholdings during any time within a calendar year.

New State W-4 VT

State W-4 VT’s are also completed at the time of hire and can be updated as often as needed throughout the calendar year.

  • Changes to Vermont W-4 tax withholding are done in Employee Self Service.
  • Only 1 change per day permitted and may take up to 48 hours to be reflected. Also, depending on timing of entry, changes to State withholdings may take a full pay period to become effective.
  • Additional resources for filling out the VT W-4 can be found on the Tax Department’s web site: Vermont Tax Website
  • Email confirmation with your submitted changes will be sent to the email address listed in your System Profile.

Claiming "EXEMPT" from Withholding on your W-4 Forms

  • IRS link and information about whether or not you should claim "EXEMPT" from Federal/States taxes when completing your W-4 Forms.

W-2's and W-2 Reprint

A W-2 The form that an employer must send to an employee and the IRS at the end of the year. The W-2 form reports an employee's annual wages and the amount of taxes withheld from his or her paycheck.

  • W-2’s are issued annually no later than January 31st of the new calendar year. (2023 W-2s were mailed out on 1/26)
  • W-2’s are sent to the mailing address listed in your Employee Self Service.
  • W-2’s once completed can be viewed and re-printed from employee’s self-service portal. You can view this from work or from home using OpenVPN/GlobalProtect. 

To assist State of Vermont Employees with Understanding their W-2

Please note we only support Employees who work/worked for “State of Vermont” as a Governmental employee. We do not support private businesses (for example Grocery Stores, Restaurants, Retail Businesses)

Former State of Vermont Employees can request a W-2 Former State of Vermont Employee W2 Request.
Former State of Vermont Employees can request updates to their mailing address here Former State of Vermont Employee Address Change.