Federal W-4’s should be completed at the time of hire, additionally, active employees can change their W-4 withholdings during any time within a calendar year.
- Changes made to W-4 withholdings should be done in Employee Self Service. Changes to withholdings may take a full pay period to become effective.
- Additional Resources for filling out and understanding current Federal W-4:
New State W-4 VT
State W-4 VT’s are also completed at the time of hire and can be updated as often as needed throughout the calendar year.
- Changes to Vermont W-4 tax withholding are done in Employee Self Service.
- Only 1 change per day permitted and may take up to 48 hours to be reflected. Also, depending on timing of entry, changes to State withholdings may take a full pay period to become effective.
- Additional resources for filling out the VT W-4 can be found on the Tax Department’s web site: Vermont Tax Website
- Email confirmation with your submitted changes will be sent to the email address listed in your System Profile.
Claiming "EXEMPT" from Withholding on your W-4 Forms
- IRS link and information about whether or not you should claim "EXEMPT" from Federal/States taxes when completing your W-4 Forms.
W-2's and W-2 Reprint
A W-2 The form that an employer must send to an employee and the IRS at the end of the year. The W-2 form reports an employee's annual wages and the amount of taxes withheld from his or her paycheck.
- W-2’s are issued annually no later than January 31st of the new calendar year.
- W-2’s are sent to the mailing address listed in your Employee Self Service.
- W-2’s once completed can be viewed and re-printed from employee’s self-service portal.
To assist State of Vermont Employees with Understanding their W-2
Former State of Vermont Employees can request a W-2 Former State of Vermont Employee W2 Request.
Former State of Vermont Employees can request updates to their mailing address here Former State of Vermont Employee Address Change.