The Center for Achievement in Public Service offers a range of online classes through various partners. These classes are available to all state employees, covering a broad range of topics for employee development, safety and health, and other more job specific areas. Many of the classes are offered without charge and allow for employees to access classes from their desk.
We are currently partnering with the following eLearning platforms:
FirstNet (Vermont Online University)
CAPS has been offering classes through FirstNet for many years. FirstNet is an online learning platform that offers an assortment of classes. We are currently limiting our class offerings with FirstNet to Workforce Development related trainings. (Employees currently enrolled in any Health and Safety courses will be able to access and complete the courses during this time. The Defensive Driving course can be found in the Professional Development section.)
Cost: Course fees are based on credits. The first credit is $10 and $5 for each additional credit. The total cost is billed to your department upon enrollment in the course, not completion.
- New employees: click on “I AM A NEW USER" and follow the steps to create your account.
- Returning employees: Enter your username (employee ID) and password.
- Inform your supervisor of your interest in a class.
- When you register, enter your supervisor’s email address for approval. The system will email your supervisor for approval.
- You will receive notification that you are approved or denied to access the course.
- You can log in and access the site from any computer with internet access.
Data Imported to Learning Management System (SOV LINC):
CAPS will upload the transcript data from FirstNet to the SOV LINC Learning Management System the first week of each month.
Log on to First Net
Email FirstNet Learning
The Vermont Department of Libraries in conjunction with the Department of Human Resources is happy to provide SOV employees with access to Universal Class. Universal Class is an online learning provider that has an extensive catalog of classes, ranging from computer software to business ethics to diversity.
Universal Class offers more than 500 classes, not all connected to work-related themes. To help employees identify SOV related courses, we have developed a catalog that can be accessed here. DHR strongly suggests that you only take courses during work hours that:
- Have been either assigned, vetted or previously discussed with your supervisor, and
- Are directly connected and relevant to your work with the State of Vermont.
Once employees have completed these courses, they can upload their completion certificates to the Learning Management System to add them to their transcript. For more information about Universal Class and directions on how to navigate the system and upload certificates, click here for the “How To” document.
Click here for more information about resources from the Department of Libraries.
- To access these classes, state employees must have a Vermont state or municipal library card. You may use your municipal library card, or obtain a library card from your local library or the State library. Employees can click here to be directed to an online form to request a State library card.
- For information connected to navigation of Universal Class, click here.
Link to Learning Management System (LMS):
Once employees have completed courses through Universal Class, they need to upload their certificates of completion to the LMS using the Add External Training tool. Please reference the Add External Trainings section of the “How To” document for directions.
- For questions connected to Library Cards, Universal Class access or other library related questions, please contact Tom McMurdo,email@example.com or 802-828-6953.
- For questions connected to the Learning Management System and uploading certificates, please email DHR.CAPS@vermont.gov.
The Department of Information and Innovation is pleased to provide online trainings connected to cybersecurity available through the LMS in conjunction with CAPS. The trainings are provided by SANS IT and uploaded into our LMS. These classes can be accessed through your current LMS account. For a complete list of classes, type “SANS IT” in the LMS search bar.
Enrollment: These classes are available through the State of Vermont LMS.
Link to Learning Management System (LMS):
SANS IT classes are currently located in the LMS and will automatically be reflected in the employee transcripts upon completion.
Technical Assistance: email DHR.CAPS@vermont.gov for technical assistance.
PMA (Coming Soon!)
The office of Risk Management has contracted with PMA to provide Worker’s Compensation services for SOV employees and safety and health trainings. This training benefit will roll out in the coming months.