The State of Vermont is supportive of encouraging young families to live and work in Vermont. The Infants in the Workplace Policy (13.13) allows employees the option of bringing their infants (6 weeks – 6 months) into the workplace. Research shows that parents/infants being together supports critical bonding:
- Healthy infant brain development
- Parental well-being
- Continuity of work / decreases time loss / improves job satisfaction
Under this policy, eligible parents and legal guardians of infants between the ages of six (6) weeks and six (6) months old may bring their child to work so long as:
- The employee receives prior written authorization from his/her supervisor, Appointing Authority, the Commissioner of the Department of Human Resources, or his/her designee; and the Commissioner of the Department of Buildings and General Services or his/her designee.
- There is no safety hazard or concern to the parent or the infant; and
- There is limited disruption in the workplace.
Participating agencies/departments, as of 1/31/19:
Commerce & Community Development
Department of Labor
Department of Public Safety Divisions:
- Vermont Crime Information Center
- Vermont Emergency Management Division
- Division of Finance and Administration
- Division of Fire Safety
Please read Infants in the Workplace Policy (13.13) for details, and find all nesessary forms by clicking on the Forms & Documents widget below.