Skip to main content

Leave from Classified Service & Return to Classified


Classified employees, who have successfully completed original probation, may take an indefinite leave from the classified service to serve in an exempt position (3 VSA § 220). Employees with less than ten years of service are not guaranteed to their former position, or any other position. However, for employees with at least ten years of classified service the department of human resources shall provide for the employee to be offered at position in the classified service at the employees former pay grade, or a lower pay grade. The collective bargaining unit agreements and policy also outline the process for taking a leave from the classified service.

The collective bargaining unit agreements outline the process for restoring employees returning to the classified service, including specific criteria for restoring the salary. See the non-management bargaining unit agreement, article 34(b)(1) and (h)(1) through (6).