Skip to main content

Delegates & HR Professionals Information

The Executive Branch of State Government provides different types of leaves of absence to assist employees with: their own personal serious health condition; caring for a member of the immediate family with a serious health condition; caring for dependent children in instances of illness, birth, or adoption; leave for a qualifying exigency while a covered service member is on active duty, call to active duty status, or has been notified of an impending call or order to active duty; and, caring for a covered service member with a serious injury or illness incurred by a service member in the line of duty while on active duty.  Supervisors are an important part of the this process.

Call Out Procedures

The State of Vermont requires employees on FMLA to comply with all usual and customary notice and procedural requirements for requesting leave, absent unusual circumstances.

In addition, when employees reach out to you to inform you of their absence they should specifically reference the qualifying reason for leave or the need for FMLA leave.   For example, if your employee has been previously certified for intermittent leave due to migraine headaches, when they call in to notify you that they will be either late or absent, they should either specifically state that they will be late because of a migraine headache or because they are taking FMLA leave.   

Failure to adhere to call out procedures may result in denial of their request for leave. At which point they would then be considered off-payroll without authorization and may be subject to appropriate disciplinary action, up to and including dismissal from employment.

Contacting the Leave Management Unit (LMU)

For questions relating to your FMLA leave please reach out to a Leave Management Specialist at 1-866-828-1745 or via email at

In time, the Leave Management Unit will serve all classified employees within the executive branch of State Government. Employees in departments and agencies not currently being served by the LMU may reach out to their DHR Field Representative with questions.